Public Safety and Transportation


Reporting a Crime Confidentially

You can report a crime confidentially. 

If you are the victim of a crime, including domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, and do not want to pursue action within the University system or the criminal justice system you may still want, and are encouraged, to consider making a confidential report. Persons wanting to report a crime or incident can do so confidentially by contacting the Executive Director of Public Safety and Transportation in the office located in Levermore Hall, Suite 113 or by calling the Department of Public Safety at ext. 3500. The reporting person’s name will be kept confidential, but the incident may be included in the annual crime statistic report without divulging the person’s name or any other information that would infringe on his/her confidentiality.

Any accommodations or protective measures provided to the victim, to the extent that maintaining such confidentiality would not impair the ability of the University to provide accommodations or protective measures will be maintained. Persons are further encouraged to report crimes to any campus authority whereby the reporter will remain confidential as requested, but the crime will be included as a statistic for the annual security report.

Counselors and Confidential Crime Reporting

Campus pastoral counselors and campus professional counselors when acting as such are not to be considered a campus security authority and are not required to report crimes for inclusion into the annual disclosure of crime statistics. Under the Clery Act, institutions are not required to provide a timely warning with respect to crimes reported to a pastoral or professional counselor. The University policy is one that encourages these counselors when they deem appropriate to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual statistics.

Counselors are defined as:

Pastoral Counselor: An employee of an institution, who is associated with a religious order or denomination, recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling and who is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.

Professional Counselor and Health Services Center Personnel: Employees of an institution whose official responsibilities include providing psychological counseling or health services to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.


For further information, please contact:

Public Safety and Transportation
Levermore Hall, Suite 113
p – 516.877.3500 or dial "5" from any on-campus phone

Regular Office Hours
Monday–Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Friday:  8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

After hours calls will be received by the  24-hour Public Safety Command Center in Levermore Hall, Suite 113.

Apply Now
Request Information