Public Safety and Transportation

 

Electric Safety

Take these measures to prevent an electrical fire.

Electrical fires in our homes claim the lives of 418 Americans each year and injure 1,570 more. Some of these fires are caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects, but many more are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring and overloaded circuits.


Electrical Safety Precautions

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.
  • Use electrical extension cords wisely and don’t overload them.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.
  • When buying electrical appliances look for products evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such and Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL).
  • Don’t allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons and hair dryers.
  • Keep clothes, curtains and other potentially combustible items at least three feet from all heaters.
  • If an appliance has a three-prong plug, only use it in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
  • Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
  • Use safety closures to “child-proof” electrical outlets.
  • Check your electrical tools regularly for signs of wear.
 

For further information, please contact:

Public Safety and Transportation
Levermore Hall, Suite 113
p – 516.877.3500 or dial "5" from any on-campus phone

Regular Office Hours
Monday–Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Friday:  8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

After hours calls will be received by the  24-hour Public Safety Command Center in Levermore Hall, Suite 113.

 
 
Apply Now
Request Information